Problem with battery charging

For general discussion of the UltraSmartCharger
evilangel

Problem with battery charging

Postby evilangel » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:55 pm

Hi all.

I have a problem with charging any batteries with my USC. I have Kickstarter version of USC, hardware version is rev 7, software - 0.510. By steps I did that:
1. I inserted a 4 GB SD card in that charger, it's formatted at FAT32
2. I put a batteries in it, one is a Recyko, another one - Eneloop
3. I plug an USB into the USC.
4. Both LEDs blinking with different colors, something like red, yellow, green, blue, purple. After that light is white for a second. As I understood it was a startup check out.
5. After all of that LEDs are didn't light. I never had white LEDs, whats mean that USC recognize my cells. I wait for a while, tried to push button and take off and insert cells again - nothing changed. LEDs didn't light.
At DATA.CSV I have lines like this

Code: Select all

3170,,HW Version 5 FW Version 0.510 Serial # 8
Millis,Channel,Elapsed,Req_Current,Voltage,Act_Current,Power,Capacity,Energy,Temperature,PWM
3338,,Powered On

and nothing else.
Please help me with this issue. Is it something wrong with my USC? Or may be I gave done something wrong?

Mark
Site Admin

Re: Problem with battery charging

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:05 pm

Hi Evilangel,

I'm assuming that the charger has been working fine in the past?

Perhaps try plugging the charger in first, then insert the batteries. I'm assuming that you're trying them in both slots? If the batteries are really flat, that old version of the firmware won't detect the cells - if you have a multimeter, can you check what voltage they're reading please?

If you have access to an FTDI board, you could try updating the firmware to the latest version available here and see if that makes any difference. The version that you're using is nearly 2 years old now, so a lot has been improved with the firmware since.

Can you double check the hardware revision that you have got? You've said revision 7 in your message, but the log file is saying version 5 - if you've got the wrong firmware loaded for the hardware that you have, that could definitely be the cause of this problem.

evilangel

Postby evilangel » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:01 am

Hi, Mark.

No, it is my first time, when I using it. I'll receive USC 2 years ago, but not using it for a long time.
Yes, I've tried to charge 2 cell simultaneously, and tried to plug in USC after inserting cells and before, it doesn't have any difference.

Sure, I'll check hardware revision in the evening.
Now I don't have any experience in using FTDI now, but I'll try to find out with it.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:15 pm

Did you get a chance to check the hardware version?

evilangel

Postby evilangel » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:07 pm

Yes, I did. There is small note "Rev. 7" at the bottom side of plate. I think that mean Revision 7, isn't it?

I've tried various cell in the USC, several of them was absolutely ok. It've been charged in the Maha-C9000 without any problems.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:59 am

OK, the good news is that I know what the problem is - unfortunately, your board has the wrong version of the firmware on it.

The bad news is that you'll need to obtain an FTDI board - they're not that expensive though - you should be able to get them off of Ebay quite cheaply. Once you've got an FTDI board hooked up, it's just a case of running the easy firmware updater to get to the latest firmware version and that should sort out all of your issues.

You can download the firmware updater from here:
http://www.ultrasmartcharger.com/USCFWUpdate900.exe

If you run into any problems, or if you have any questions, etc, please let me know!

frankty

Postby frankty » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:19 am

Okay I have both an FTDI Friend and a "Kedsum" USB board - docs on wiring this up? I'm plenty handy with a soldering iron - have built lots of stuff. Just have not seen where this is documented.

Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:20 am

Hi Frank,

You have most likely got a newer version of the board which doesn't require an FTDI converter as it most likely already has one on board. As per my previous question to you, does your charger take a standard sized SD card, or does it take a Micro SD card?

Return to “General Discussion”