Discussion of Mark's firmware

Forum for announcements and discussion of beta firmware.
Mark
Site Admin

Re: Progress on Mark's Firmware (Latest Version Attached)

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:58 am

You need the Arduino IDE - I recommend version 1.5.4

There is a quick guide on flashing the charger which I recommend that you read:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32

ukoda

Post by ukoda » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:13 am

Mark wrote:You need the Arduino IDE - I recommend version 1.5.4

There is a quick guide on flashing the charger which I recommend that you read:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32
Surely I would only need the Arduino IDE if I'm building the code? If I'm only programming my device with the latest firmware you release then all I need is a file supported by avrdude, which I already use with the AVR GCC tool chain.

I realise that installing the Arduino IDE is probably not big task, but I already have 8 different tool chains installed on this PC and every new one brings a risk of breaking another one so I don't really want to do that unless I'm actively developing rather than just flashing prebuilt firmware.

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:21 am

Ah - now I understand what you were meaning with regard to the output file.

No one else has asked for this in the past, but I'm happy to give it a go - I've attached the latest version as a hex file contained in a zip file.

For those with older board versions, don't use this file since it won't work on anything other than the revision 7 chargers.
Attachments
UltraSmartCharger.cpp.hex.zip
(26.59 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

ukoda

Post by ukoda » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks for that. To help others who may avrdue I can say it appears to have programmed ok using:

Code: Select all

avrdude -c jtag2isp -P usb -p m328p -U flash:w:UltraSmartCharger.cpp.hex:i
It is behaving different, so now back to manual to see what the pattern of light mean

Paul.Allen
Site Admin

Post by Paul.Allen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:24 pm

Mark wrote:Try updating to the Arduino 1.5.4 Release Candidate IDE and see if that makes a difference?
Now I am getting this error both in 1.5.4 and in the old version when I moved the Robot Control library:

In file included from Charger.cpp:3:
Logging.h:62: error: 'SdCard' does not name a type
Logging.h:63: error: 'Fat16' does not name a type

Any idea's?

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:08 pm

My guess is that the fat16lib isn't installed correctly.

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:00 am

ukoda wrote:Thanks for that. To help others who may avrdue I can say it appears to have programmed ok using:

Code: Select all

avrdude -c jtag2isp -P usb -p m328p -U flash:w:UltraSmartCharger.cpp.hex:i
Thanks for sharing. Just as a warning to others though, that command line won't work unless you're also using the same programmer.
ukoda wrote:It is behaving different, so now back to manual to see what the pattern of light mean
Thanks - keep us updated!

ukoda

Post by ukoda » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:55 am

Yes, if people have a different programmer they should replace the "-c jtag2isp" argument with what is right for them.

The new firmware has got rid of the "Error: 4" message and I have my first test result. Some old Chinese batteries (I live in China currently) rated at 1300mAh have a tested capacity of 1398mAh. Next to try the ones offered as the best, with a claimed capacity of 3000mAh.

Mark
Site Admin

Post by Mark » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:02 am

ukoda wrote:The new firmware has got rid of the "Error: 4" message and I have my first test result. Some old Chinese batteries (I live in China currently) rated at 1300mAh have a tested capacity of 1398mAh.
Not bad! Would be interesting to see the log file for that one. It wasn't too uncommon for cells with low ratings to actually do better than their claimed capacity.
Next to try the ones offered as the best, with a claimed capacity of 3000mAh.
It'll be interesting to see how you go with them - I'll guarantee that they're overrated - the question will be just by how much. I wouldn't be too surprised if they actually turn out to have a lower capacity than you 1300 mAh labelled cells - I've seen reports of 3000 mAh labelled cells coming out at only around 500 mAh!

ukoda

Post by ukoda » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:41 am

I suspect you will be right which is why I was keen to get one of these boards. Over the years I have had very mixed results with batteries. It is timely that I have it now as I go on a trip this weekend and I need to travel light so I will only take one set of batteries, the actual best ones.

I have had the job of estimating battery life of dry cells and selecting batteries for some products we supply. We have done simple discharge tests before but I'm tempted to rework the software for that testing next time it is needed.